Hamilton East School

Engaged, Respectful, Literate, Curious, Connected 


Frequently Asked Questions:

When should I enrol my child? 3 - 6 months before they turn 5 is ideal. This gives us time to arrange class visits and assess any requirements for your child. This also lets us how many children are due to start and we can arrange the classrooms to suit.

How do I enrol my child? Enrolment forms can be collected from the school office. 

Do you have class visits? We have Open Mornings - you and your child can come along for an hour or so to visit the class with other families. Then we arrange individual visits, as required, for each child.  

What happens at a New Entrant Open Morning? You visit the classroom/s and meet the Teachers. You spend time in the room/s with your child.


Is there a uniform?The HES school hat is the only uniform.

‘School’ clothing needs to be comfortable and  layered to suit the season . 


What happens on the first day of school?

Please report to the office and they will record your presence and take you and your child to their class.


What do I do if my child cannot attend school? Please ring the office (078393377) and leave a message stating the reason for the absence. You can also text the mobile on 0212899811.

You can email ctaylor@hameast.school.nz

The Ministry of Education requires us to record all absences and lateness with reasons. If we are unable to contact you and you have not contacted us, the absence is noted as ‘Unexplained‘.

 What time does school start and finish? School starts at 9:00 am each week day morning and finishes at 3:00 pm.  We ask you to ensure that children are at school before 9:00 am so they have time to put their things away, read, chat with friends and  teachers and help with any tasks in the classroom. Unless children are involved in the Before School Programme we ask that they arrive at school after 8:30 am. All teachers are in classrooms from 8:30 amThe school does not close early on wet days. 

When are intervals and lunch times? Interval is from 10:30 am to 10:55:am and lunch is from 12:30 pm to 1:25 pm.

 What happens during interval and lunch time? Children's eating is supervised to ensure everyone eats something. A bell goes after which, if children have finished eating, they may go and play. New Entrant children are encouraged to play 'on top' on the Rainbow Playground, in the sandpit or around the general area. They may go down to 'middle flat' (not currently while building is happening) or over to 'Dawson' with a teacher aide if one is taking soccer. They are no allowed to go down to 'Putikitiki' until they are in the Totara Team. There are duty teachers spread around the playground during these times.


What stationery is required? When your child starts school the office will issue a stationery list.  This can be purchased at the office. Arrangements can be made to pay off stationery if this is what you need.


How can I make a payment to the school? Cash, Eftpos at office, Internet banking - Hamilton East School Board of Trustees A/C # ASB 123 152 0019628 00 please reference with your child’s name, room and what the payment is for. 


Is there before and after school care? Hamilton East sKids

sKids Onsite Mobile – 027 605 0436

How can I talk to my child’s teacher? Teachers are in classrooms from 8:30 -9:00 am and at the gate after school each day.

You can also make an appointment for a formal discussion.

Do you have BYOD? No


Is there a school facebook? Yes https://www.facebook.com/Hamilton-East-School- 


Can we attend school assemblies? Yes. Assemblies are held in the Hall on Friday at 9:05. All whanau welcome . (Term 2 2018 no assemblies as there are 2 classes in the hall while their classrooms are being constructed.)


Can we order school lunches? Yes, from the school office. Lunches are provided by Cafe 547.


What happens when there is a school Operetta? A school Operetta is held every second year. All children participate in class items. Performances are held during the day and in the evenings over three day so there are three evening performances.  Tickets are sold via the office and your class teacher willsend home information about costumes etc.